In January we went on a beautiful camping trip where the natural environment made my daily mindfulness practice easy! I wrote about in Mindful Moments in the Australian Bush.
Lately, it has occurred to me that my mindfulness practice needs a bit of an injection or a re-commitment of sorts. Perhaps yours does too.
Or maybe you are new to mindfulness.
Here are a few definitions to consider…
“Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.”
Thich Nhat Hanh
“Mindfulness shows us what is happening in our bodies, our emotions, our minds, and in the world. Through mindfulness, we avoid harming ourselves and others.”
Mindfulness for me is the act of putting my full attention to the subtleties of actions. It gives me permission to release my sometimes obsessive thoughts about the past and the future because the present is all we have. It is the practice of connecting with this moment fully and supports me in untethering myself from my inner critic, repetitive behaviours, habits that no longer serve me, the drive to multi-task, or technology.
There are two ways you can play along this month
1. You can follow me on Facebook , where I will post a daily mindful moment task to try. The key is to try and stay present as long as you can. It is the quality of that moment not the length of time. You may maintain your focus for a minute or 10 but if your thoughts should wander…this is a natural part of being human. Please do not get lost in thoughts of judgment about losing focus. All activities can be shared with children, friends, family or pets. Even if it is you who is taking part in the action and they are the observers.
2. Mindful Moments Challenge on Instagram. Take part and nominate others to post 5 Mindful Moments for 5 days. Pictures that capture a time when your attention, thoughts and feelings were completely present and savouring that moment. Include the tag #mindfulmomentschallenge and a one or two word description.
Here is the list of Mindful Moments that will become a daily practice. The description of each to follow on Facebook over the course of this month.
- Holding hands- Follow the link to play today.
- Mindful listening to another human
- Mindful drawing
- Full Moon
- Colour walk
- Walking meditation
- Smell the roses
- Slow down
- The mindful shower/bath time
- Making a mindful lunch
- When time stood still
- Splash of colour
- Hands in the earth
- Hug a tree
- Write a love note to yourself or another
- Candle light dinner
- Breathe break
- Look up
- What do you Hear?
- Hug it out
- Time in
- Savouring the sweetness
- Washing the Dishes
- Watering the plants
- Taking flight- observing
- Write a story
- Laugh it out
Wishing you a magical month of mindfulness!
P.S. Follow me on Facebook Spread the love. #mindfulmomentschallenge