In my recent workshop, Superhero Themes, I introduced to a group of kids the concept of ‘The Power Pose’. We went in search of our very own Superhero Pose. In this post, I have three activities you can try with your kids or class.
The Science Behind the Power Pose
Amy Cuddy a social psychologist at Harvard studied the relationship between one’s posture and the effect it has on hormone levels in the body. She found that certain body postures can, in fact change, the chemical makeup of your body and ultimately lead to a happier and less stressful life.
When you smile, it is because your brain is telling you that you are happy, if you frown it is because your brain has sent the signal that you are unhappy about something. Amy Cuddy’s study found that it can work in reverse. Holding our body in a confident posture (power pose), even when we don’t believe this about ourselves, can change how you think about yourself, over time.
Her findings demonstrated that over time, in control groups who were conscious of their posture and who actively tried to adopt a more positive outlook, their body chemistry and thinking changed.
Our brain is made up of neuroplastic material which means it is ever changing. Repeated signals through our posture and thoughts can change the way we think and show up in the world.
The Wonder Women (Power Pose)
It takes 21 days to create a new habit. Standing in what has been coined the Wonder Woman Pose (legs wide, fists on hips, chest out, standing tall) for 2 minutes a day has been proven to increase self-confidence.
Finding Your Superhero Pose
- Follow the leader- Students copy the teacher’s superhero poses. End with the Wonder Woman Pose, renamed the Superhero pose for this lesson
- Musical Superhero Pose– When the music is on the students move around acting out their favourite super powers. When the music stops, students freeze in the Superhero Pose (power pose) Fists on hips.
Using Positive Affirmations to Add More Power to Your Power Pose
Positive affirmations for kids is a fun way to teach your kids how to have a good outlook on life. Whether they need help for specific issues or not, integrating positive affirmations in their lives can be very effective.
- Affirmations with the Power Pose– Together with your child or students choose an affirmation that is specific for them. Model it by choosing an affirmation that you would like to work on yourself. While standing in your power pose say: I am patient and peaceful (that is what I am working on) choose an affirmation from the list below or make up your own. If you are making up your own create a statement that is positive and in the present tense. Say your affirmation a few times. How does it feel in your body? Your mind may not believe it yet but for this exercise it is important to say it with conviction because you are training your brain to believe this to be true
Here is a list of affirmations. I’d like to thank the loving parents who added to this list during my workshop ‘Superhero Themes’.
- I am happy.
- I am kind.
- My family, friends, and teachers love me for who I am.
- My parents are proud of me.
- I am unique.
- I am in control of my emotions if I focus.
- I am calm and peaceful.
- I am friendly.
- I am a fun person.
- My friends enjoy playing with me.
- I am polite and always use my manners.
- I am helpful.
- I am grateful. (You can make variations of this. “I am grateful for ____.)
- I love learning new things.
- I have fears, but I have the courage to face them.
- When I am angry, I remember to breathe.
- I talk about my feelings.
- I love going to school because learning is fun.
- I do my best in school.
- I am brave.
- I like new challenges.
- I have a lot of brilliant ideas.
- I do my best to help my parents at home.
- I am a loving and kind sibling.
- I am a good listener.
- I am unstoppable.
- I am adventurous
- I am confident.
- I see beauty in nature.
- I am the best me that I can be. Type a message…
Wishing you and the kids you hang with a Power Pose kind of week!
P.S. Please, help me add to the list of affirmations. Leave your comment below or on facebook.