Changing the energy of the classroom environment one moment at a time.
This session will focus on how mindfulness techniques can be used throughout the day to support teachers and students to cultivate focus, calm and connection to the present moment. This PD is designed for preschool and primary school settings, however many of the activities introduced are relevant for people of all ages. Teachers will walk away with practical tools that can be used immediately to cultivate a more mindful approach to classroom management.
During this session we will:
- explore the science and benefits of mindfulness.
- learn to set the foundation of your day in the first 5 minutes.
- outline how to incorporate mindful moments into your day.
- discuss the best way to share the tools learnt at school with families.
This PD accounts for 2 hours of professional learning and is supported by AITSL Standards. (If you are attending from another state or country I am happy to connect the content to the teaching standards established by your governing education board) .
Following the session a certificate of completion will be delivered to all attendees.
Teaching Standards: This session will support professional learning in 3 areas of the Australasian Professional Standards for Teachers (AITSL) and recommended Teaching Standards for Nova Scotia, Canada.
Standard 1: Know students and how they learn
- Focus area 1.1 Physical, social and intellectual development and characteristics of students. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of physical, social and intellectual development and characteristics of students and how these may affect learning.
- Focus area 1.2 Understand how students learn- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of research into how students learn and the implications for teaching.
Standard 3: Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning
- Focus area 3.3 Use teaching strategies Include a range of teaching strategies. Select and use relevant teaching strategies to develop knowledge, skills, problem solving and critical and creative thinking.
- Focus area 3.5 Use effective classroom communication Demonstrate a range of verbal and non-verbal communication strategies to support student engagement. Use effective verbal and non-verbal communication strategies to support student understanding, participation, engagement and achievement.
Standard 4: Create and maintain supportive and safe learning environments
- Focus area 4.1 Support student participation Identify strategies to support inclusive student participation and engagement in classroom activities. Establish and implement inclusive and positive interactions to engage and support all students in classroom activities.
- Focus area 4.2 Manage classroom activities Demonstrate the capacity to organise classroom activities and provide clear directions.
- Focus area 4.3 Manage challenging behaviour Demonstrate knowledge of practical approaches to manage challenging behaviour. Manage challenging behaviour by establishing and negotiating clear expectations with students and address discipline issues promptly, fairly and respectfully.
- Focus area 4.4 Maintain student safety Describe strategies that support students’ wellbeing and safety working within school and/or system, curriculum and legislative requirements. Ensure students’ wellbeing and safety within school by implementing school and/ or system, curriculum and legislative requirements.
Teaching Standards for Nova Scotia as proposed by a 2016 Discussion Document.
Standard 1: Teachers know, respond to, and engage all students.
Standard 2: Teachers know their subjects and how to teach them.
Standard 4: Teachers create safe and positive learning environments.
About the presenter:
Cathy Koman has been a teacher for 17 years. She is the creator of Mindful Storytelling, a workshop series delivered to schools which combines drama, movement, music and mindfulness. Through her work she has supported students, teachers and parents to adopt a more mindful approach to life and learning. In 2017, Cathy created Books ALIVE, where participants use Literacy strategies, drama and collaborative storytelling to put a twist on some of our favourite picture books. She passionately promotes kindness, self-confidence, creativity and compassion in all her work. It is her intention to support students of all ages to trust in themselves, their creative ideas and bravely put these ideas into action.
Wednesday, December the 11th- 5pm – 7pm Registration opening soon for ANZUK staff.
Join a group of Like minded Educators and Teachers striving to create a curiosity driven creative calm classroom environment . Click on this link and leave your details to join.
3 thoughts on “Mindful Management”